Every individual should have a set of unwritten rules they follow while at work. Different from company policies, these rules should have personal stake. They should add value to your work day; help you avoid the pitfalls that many fall under during the 9 to 5. Although your rules may differ from mine, the sentiment should be the same: being the best professional you can be.
My New Year resolution is to follow these at all times:
- Practice Etiquette. Do this, not only because it is the professional thing to do, but because good manners go a long way. People will always remember the way you made them feel. If you show respect for others, chances are you will get respect back. Here are just some examples:
- Say Good Morning/Good Afternoon/Good Evening
- Say please and thank yo
- Hold the door for the person behind yo
- Shake hands when meeting somebody for the first time
- Be nice to everybody, regardless of their position
- Respond promptly to e-mail
- Be on time
"Your thoughts become your words, your words become your actions, your actions become your destiny”Negative words lead to negative events. Let somebody else be the carrier of that burden.